September 1, 2011

Homeschooling....really?

Well as anyone in my life(in person or digital) would know, I am homeschooling the girls for what would be their "pre-k" year. I hear quite a lot on the net that homeschooling 4yr olds is just basic fun stuff. Learning about shapes, numbers, letters and playing around outside. But to me it is more than that. Our daughters already know shapes including hexagons and pentagons. Our girls can recognize numbers into the 50's and they can SAY their alphabet(no little song necessary). So they know their "pre-k" stuff.
So now I am going to teach them things they would learn in kindergarten. I am shooting for our school to start 2nd Monday of September. By then I should have all our materials here. So far we have Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, AlphaBuddies book set and odds & ends for hands on activities. We also recently bought us a book on easy science experiments along with Hooked on Handwriting. I am currently waiting for 2 spiral bound activity books to come in the mail any day now that we bought from Amazon. I had some input from the girls on things they would like to do and B suggested art. She LOVES art!! So we definitely have that planned too.

Our homeschool room is set up really nicely. I am very proud of it. We currently live in a 3 bedrm home and the 3rd bedroom is our official classrom. It used to be the girls playroom but since they couldn't keep it clean and we plan on officially homeschooling them, I decided to change it to our classroom(better than taking over the living room...LOL). the girls have had a sneak peek into our new classroom and LOVE it so far. Not a day goes by when B isn't asking when we are going to start school.
I still have so much to do before we start. We are doing popcorn words with the dolch pre-primer and primer list. I need to put the popcorn boxes on the wall soon. Then start drawing TONS of paper popcorns to prep us for the words. My darling partner came up with a great idea: have the girls color the "popcorn" pieces prior to writing the dolch words on them. So definitely going to take that advice. I am so ready to start writing our weekly schedule but without our other books it just isn't possible.

Once I get everything done, word wall up, schedule set and we make our rules chart then I'll take pictures and put them on here. The girls will be happy to know that other will get to see our school room.

Well it is about that time for my family to be waking up so I am going to hop off here and tend my partner and kids.
Hugs & Loves everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment